Friday 15th March 2013
Total prize fund £35000
Weights: 5-y-o to carry 11st 13lb; 6-y-o and up to carry 12st
Mares Allowance: 7lb
Note: Jockeys are unable to claim weight in this race
Key Trends Ahead Of The 2013 Renewal
- 22 of the last 27 winners won last time out.
- 14 of the last 15 horses placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd were all winners last time out.
- 20 of the last 23 winners had previously won under rules over 3 miles or further. Two exceptions (Rushing Wild, 1992 and Cappa Bleu, 2009) had never previously run under rules but had won over this distance in Point-to-Points. The other exception, Fantus in 1995, was beaten 3 lengths by the very useful Honest Word at Kempton in 1994 in a 3 mile Novices’ Chase.
- 20 of the last 22 winners were aged ten or younger. The two exceptions were Cavalero (2000) and Earthmover (2004)
- 21 of the last 24 winners came from a Point-to-Point/Hunter Chasing background. The three exceptions were Sleeping Night (2005), Amicelli (2008) and Baby Run (2010).
- 10 of the last 11 winners were within 35 days of their most recent run.
- 9 of the last 10 winners had run less than four times since the start of the Point-to-Point season. The exception was Zemsky (2011).
- 18 of the last 19 winners had previously won under rules. The exception was Cappa Bleu (2009).
- 10 of the last 11 winners (including the last 8) had run in less than 4 handicap chases. The exception was Earthmover (2004), who won the race either side of a handicap chasing career.
- 12 of the last 21 horses placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd were Irish-trained.
- 14 of the last 19 winners had won more than one chase under rules.
Since December 1st 2009 and before February 28th 2012 in Great Britain or Ireland, horses must have:
a) Been placed first or second on two occasions in a Hunter Chase,
b) Won two open races at Point-To-Point meetings
c) Won one open race at a Point-To-Point meeting and have been placed first or second in a Hunter Chase
Priority will be given to horses which have run under the rules of racing. It is recommended that horses qualifying should run in a Hunter Chase by March 9th (the day before the 6 day confirmations) in order to avoid elimination.
The BHA Head of Handicapping will reserve the right to grant a place to one wild card runner (to make the race as competitive as possible) if they are balloted out through a non-rules racing history. However, they still must must have met the qualification criteria detailed above.
|2012||Salsify||R Sweeney||C Sweeney||7/1|
|2011||Zemsky||I Ferguson||D O’Connor||33/1|
|2010||Baby Run||N Twiston-Davies||S Twiston-Davies||9/2JF|
|2009||Cappa Bleu||Mrs S Crow||R Burton||11/2|
|2008||Amicelli||Mrs C Coward||O Greenall||33/1|
|2007||Drombeag||J O’Neill||JT McNamara||20/1|
|2006||Whyso Mayo||R Hurley||D Murphy||20/1|
|2005||Sleeping Night||P Nicholls||C Sweeney||7/2F|
|2004||Earthmover||P Nicholls||Miss A Goschen||14/1|
|2003||Kingscliff||S Alner||R Young||11/4F|
|2002||Last Option||R Tate||Mrs F Needham||20/1|
|2000||Cavalero||J Manners||A Charles-Jones||16/1|
|1999||Castle Mane||Mrs C Bailey||B Pollock||9/2|
|1998||Earthmover||R Barber||J Tizzard||3/1|
|1997||Fantus||R Barber||T Mitchell||10/1|
|1996||Elegant Lord||E Bolger||E Bolger||3/1F|
|1995||Fantus||R Barber||P Curling||8/1|
|1994||Double Silk||R Wilkins||R Treloggen||2/5F|
|1993||Double Silk||R Wilkins||R Treloggen||12/1|
|1992||Rushing Wild||R Barber||J Farthing||9/1|
|1991||Lovely Citizen||E O’Sullivan||W O’Sullivan||14/1|
|1990||Call Collect||R Martin||R Martin||7/4F|
|1989||Three Counties||Mrs M Rimell||Miss K Rimell||6/1|